Today I pruned back the comfrey and, well, I just couldn't let all that awesome healing power go to waste, so I made up some comfrey oil. I've read that comfrey harvested in the fall makes a stronger brew, so this will be a test. I still have plenty of the comfrey salve I made up in February from dried leaves I'd harvested in the previous summer, and that works just fine– but I'm curious. I've already had two requests for some of my salve from friends, so as soon as I harvest the honey (in the next few weeks, hopefully) and have beeswax, I'll get the salves made up. The oil has to set for about 4 weeks anyway, so the timing should work out just right.
I learned an interesting thing about using comfrey though– I didn't realize the part that contains the most allantoin is the stalk! Here I've been harvesting just the leaves… D'oh! I have to say though, as I said above, the salve I've been making with just the leaves works great, but that's from the dried leaves which tend to be more potent to begin with, so maybe that even things out. **shrug**
I tried my hand at making some plantain oil for the first time this summer, but the color is very light. It's supposed to be a "rich, dark green"… and that it is not! If I can harvest a bit more before the weather turns, I plan to give it a second go.
SO, anyway… it's all a learning process and I continue with my experimentation. But at least I am enjoying the ride.